2024 Financial Insight Network Days > Forum & Conference

본문 바로가기

파이낸셜뉴스 부산파이낸셜뉴스 가이드포스트 파이낸셜뉴스재팬 fnMICE

지난행사목록

본문

<Opening Remarks II at 'FIND 2024' Seoul International Financial Forum > 

Dear distinguished guests and dignitaries,

It is my distinct pleasure to welcome you to the 25th Seoul International Finance Forum, kicking off 

on the first day of the 2024 Financial Insight Network Days (FIND) organized by Financial News.

I extend special gratitude to Mr. President and Deputy Prime Minister Choi Sang-mok 

for their gracious welcoming and congratulatory messages. I would also like to express my deepest 

thanks to Mr. John B. Frank, Vice Chairman of this event's co-host Oaktree Capital, Mr. Jin Seoungho, 

Chairman and CEO of Korea Investment Corporation, and Professor Thomas Noe 

from the University of Oxford, whose keynote speech promises to be enlightening and thought-provoking.

The world is currently experiencing the ongoing hegemonic rivalry between the USA and China,

the persisting Russia-Ukraine war, and escalating tensions between Israel and Iran. 

These geopolitical crises have led to soaring prices of gold, oil, and other commodities. 

Additionally, the upcoming U.S. presidential election adds further uncertainties to 

both domestic and international financial markets.

The finance ministers of Korea, the USA, and Japan recently convened ahead of 

the G20 Finance Ministers' meeting in Washington and issued a joint statement addressing 

the sudden devaluation of the Korean won and Japanese yen. In this statement, they said: 

"We will also continue to consult closely on foreign exchange market developments … 

while acknowledging serious concerns of Japan and the Republic of Korea about the recent sharp 

depreciation of the Japanese yen and the Korean won.”

Furthermore, Bank of Korea Governor Rhee Chang-yong mentioned in an interview with CNBC 

that it is premature to discuss a pivot at this moment. However, he emphasized that the Bank of Korea 

is ready to deploy stabilizing measures if the market volatility continues and has enough resources to do so. 

I was encouraged by the optimistic expressions and positive sentiments shared by the heads of 

the financial sector I met at the VIP tea before the forum began. However, we cannot overlook 

the fact that this year, more than ever, is a time of uncertainty that requires us to stand united and resilient 

in navigating through challenges together.

The theme of this year's forum, "Beyond Collaboration to Alliance," underscores our aim to move beyond 

mere solidarity and coexistence towards transforming economic blockades and financial fragmentation 

caused by geopolitical crises into an alliance. It is imperative that we overcome financial market risks and 

seize opportunities to create new value.

To this end, we have invited three distinguished experts in economics and finance 

from the USA, Japan, and China. By comparing the new financial policies envisioned by these countries,

we seek to explore pathways forward for our financial markets and develop strategic approaches for the future. 

Another prominent topic in today's financial markets is AI. Jamie Dimon, 

Chairman of JPMorgan Chase and often referred to as the "king of Wall Street," highlighted AI as the top priority 

in his letter to shareholders this year.

We foresee that a new form of financial alliance merging finance and AI will emerge as a cornerstone 

in the industry. To delve into this exciting topic, I invite you to join us this afternoon for discussions on 

fintech and financial innovation. I am confident that these lectures will offer valuable insights, 

particularly for the university students in attendance today.

Finally, I would like to express my utmost respect and gratitude to the top executives of Korea's leading 

financial institutions for their generous interest and support, which have been instrumental 

in the growth and development of this forum to its current stature. Thank you.

April 24,  2024 

Jeon,  Jae-Ho

Chairman, Financial News Media Group

<Opening Remarks at the Seoul International A&D Conference>

Good morning/afternoon/evening, ladies and gentlemen. 

I am Byun Dong-sik, President of Financial News. It is my pleasure to extend a warm welcome 

to each of you as we gather for the 22nd Seoul International A&D Conference, 

coinciding with the second day of the 2024 Financial Insight Network Days.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to Mr. Kim Joo-hyun, Chairman of the Financial Services Commission, 

for gracing us with his presence during his busy schedule. I would also like to extend my deepest gratitude

to Mr. Seo Yoo-seok, Chairman of the Korea Financial Investment Association, Mr. Jeong Eun-bo, 

CEO of the Korea Exchange, and Mr. Seo Won-Joo, Chief Investment Officer of the National Pension Service, 

for their esteemed presence.

As we are all aware, the global situation is currently experiencing significant challenges. 

No sooner has one war ended than another crisis is looming. While financial markets at home and abroad 

appeared to stabilize, they are now facing new turbulence.

Amidst this uncertainty, capital is gravitating towards "good investments" perceived as relatively safer options. 

Central banks maintaining high interest rates contribute to a downward spiral in asset prices, 

presenting challenges for investors.

In this context, the rise of "activism" as heralded by the media offers an alternative approach to weather 

these uncertainties. At this conference, we will focus on investment opportunities presented by activist funds, 

which are gaining prominence in the US and other advanced markets. We will also explore strategies 

to create value and achieve breakthroughs through new governance reforms such as white knights.

In today's keynote address, Mr. James Dubow, Managing Director and Head of Alvarez & Marsal (A&M) in Asia, 

will enlighten us on investment options amidst uncertainties, focusing on the topic of "activist investing 

and value creation." We eagerly anticipate all speakers to share their valuable insights on 

new investment strategies for the Korean capital market as it seeks to broaden its scope.

Recently, there has been a notable growth in interest in derivatives, aligning with the government's initiatives to 

reform the foreign exchange market and advance both the foreign exchange and capital markets. 

At today's A&D Conference, I eagerly anticipate productive discussions among experts on 

the exciting developments in the derivatives market.

I am delighted to welcome key investors and institutional participants who are instrumental in shaping 

Korea's capital market. I hope this A&D Conference will serve as an informative compass and guide for 

your investment decisions.

In closing, I wish each of you the very best of luck and success in this event. Thank you.

April 25, 2024

Byun, Dong Shik

President, The Financial News Media Group

첨부파일

서울특별시 서초구 강남대로 315, 파이낸셜뉴스빌딩 9층 | TEL. 02-6965-0016 | FAX. 02-6965-0000 | E-mail : 8amwon@fnnews.com
Copyright ⓒ파이낸셜뉴스. All rights reserved.