제13회 국제지식재산보호컨퍼런스 > Forum & Conference

본문 바로가기

파이낸셜뉴스 부산파이낸셜뉴스 가이드포스트 파이낸셜뉴스재팬 fnMICE

지난행사목록

본문

Jointly hosted by the Korean Intellectual Property Office and Financial News, the International 

Intellectual Property Protection Conference marked the 13th anniversary this year.

I welcome all of you who take valuable time out of your busy schedule to attend this event.

I would like to convey deep gratitude particularly to Comissioner of Korean Intellectual Property 

Office Lee, In Sil who is preoccupied with signing MOU with UAE for deepning cooperation and 

promoting Korean wave for intellctual property across Middle East, Chairman of the Trade, 

Industry, Energy, SMEs, and Startups Committee at the National Assembly of the Republic 

Korea Youn, Kwan Suk (not confirmed) who spare no effort to provide support for advanced 

industry sectors, and small and impactful enterprises at home in fostering innovative growth 

such as semiconductors and batteries, Chairperson of the Presidential Council on Intellectual 

Property Paik, Man Gi who wishes to contribute to promote balanced growth across provincial 

areas by identifying and revitalizing local intellectual property, and also President of the Korea 

Patent Attorneys Association Hong, Jang Won.

Distinguished guests,

Countries across the world consider innovation as a key driving engine for growth and are 

focusing on devoloping capacity across society and economies. In 2022, South Korea was 

ranked first in Asia followed by Singapore, China and Japan in the World Innovation Index 

announced by the UN World Intellectual Property Organization and also sixth among 132 countries. 

Given that calculating innovation index is centered on innovative activity performance such as 

investment into future projects and patent application, it is believed that the Korean government 

is successfully on track of innovative growth via intellectual property.

South Korean enterprises were awarded with 216 among 612 innovation prizes at the “CES 2023” 

event held in Las Vegas early this year. These Korean companies accounted for 35 percent of 

total awardees, which rose 55 percent, record-breaking in numbers, compared to 139 from a year ago. 

Also, 12 awarded products among 23 were made by South Korean businesses in best innovation prizes.

In my view, there is no other industry fit to innovative growth than intellectual property. Particularly in 

the era of unpredictable convegence between science and technology due to volatility, uncertainty, 

complexity and ambiguity what is called “BUCA” era, innovation growth via intellectual property 

would definitely serve as a vital key for boosting global competitiveness and taking a leap forward 

to an advanced nation.

Regrettably, with 37th rank in terms of protection of intellectual property rights and 31st in terms 

of support for promoting innovation in laws related to science research, support still remains 

inadequate in reality. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of developing and safeguarding 

intellectual property for fostering innovative growth. In this regard, the theme of this conference is 

Intellectual Property, the Driving Force of Innovative Growth.

There are guests in virtual presence for this conference. I would like to welcome Director General 

of the World Intellectual Property Organization Daren Tang who will deliver a keynote speech, 

Former Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator Daniel Marti, Executive Vice President of 

the Capital Intellectual Property Services Association Yongyi Gao, and Partner Patent Attorney of 

Maiwald Sophie Ertl. I would like to also extend my appreciation to Director General of the IP 

Protection and Intellectual Cooperation Bureau at the Korea Intellectual Property Office 

Kim, Shi Hyeong and Professor of Law at Sookmyung Women's University Moon, Sun Young.

A number of young experts attend this conference every year.

I do hope that your enthusiasm would play a central role in promoting innovative growth based on 

intellectual property in Korea. I wish all of you happy and successful. Thank you.

Jeon, Jae Ho 

Chairman

fn Media Group

첨부파일

서울특별시 서초구 강남대로 315, 파이낸셜뉴스빌딩 9층 | TEL. 02-6965-0016 | FAX. 02-6965-0000 | E-mail : 8amwon@fnnews.com
Copyright ⓒ파이낸셜뉴스. All rights reserved.